Thursday, October 18, 2012

Rough Draft Op-Ed

The Dr. Oz Show helps American Society Know about Healthy Choices for a Healthy Life
Dr. Oz episode on October 8 severely impacted the lives of many people as he talked about one of the most important topics in this century: Artificial Sweeteners.
He started off by saying:
“Today I am talking about the choices you make every single day in your desire to get healthy. You cut out the butter and you cut out the sugar and you use healthy substitutes instead. Today I have brand new information. This butter and sugar alternatives may be linked to cancer, weight gain and even Alzheimer’s. So are you at risk? Today you’ll get answers.”
Those are truly convincing words that catch the attention of the audience for them to see that episode.
After finishing looking at the episode online from doctoroz.com, I happened to look at the comments from Facebook left below the video, and found out that it was in the top 10 videos with most comments.
Most of the comments were about complements to the work done but also questions concerning specific problems about artificial sweeteners on daily basis. Another topic discuss on the comments was the use of Stevia because that was the main substance talked in the episode.
There was a helper, a dietician named Ashley Koff, which decided to help and educated most people on the effects of Artificial Sweeteners and a good replacement, Stevia.  She was able to answer questions of an invited guest, which talked about her problems.
That is great in my opinion!
Being able to contact people who suffer from those diseases and convince them to go to the show and share what they feel and talk about how they think this originated. The best help that the Dr. Oz Show tries to give would be self-awareness; trying to make them realize what’s the problem and how it was originated because it’s the only way to make them stop their problem as they were the ones who created it.
Another great tool that happens to make a great impact and helps the audience in the studio as well as the ones seeing the show would be the animations or the hands on activities. Animations are created by Dr. Oz in order to help him explain the problem because it has happened that many times the people who to the doctor come out not knowing what they have and they just nod in order to not take so much time and because some are lazy.
The hands on activities are activities that Dr. Oz creates for the invited guest to actually figure out and learn about the problem she or he is experiencing and be able to actually know about the problem and see how it is being formed. This helps because once the root cause of the problem is known, then precaution thoughts are being created and the person starts to take care of their body to not experience those problems or diseases.
That has happened to me this year. I woke up one day with a pain in my right eye and I thought that it had hit myself while I was sleeping so I stopped worrying. Every time I would scratch my eye it would hurt and each time it started to hurt more. I then decided to go to the doctor after school so that I could get checked and be able to know what I had in my right eye. Once I was inside the doctor’s office he examined me and started to tell me a name, Stye.
He then explained how it was formed and with some weird names inside the eye. Since I didn’t understand and I wanted to leave early, I just nodded and left because I had been given some drops and that would cure it. For my bad luck, after 3 months, the pain returned to my eye and because I didn’t pay attention to the doctor, I had to go back and once again get treatment but this time I started to learn about my problem.
That is why the animation and the hand on activities help the patient or invited guest that goes to the Dr. Oz Show as it helps know about the problem and how it is created. 
Going back to the episode about the Artificial Sweeteners, this episode actually had an impact on me because I suffer from sugar problems inside my blood. This episode was able to show me about the problems that arise from the consumption of artificial sweeteners and how they can affect my body and health in a longer term.
This episode as well as the other ones created by Dr. Oz, where he talks about current diseases and health problems actually help society, as it is free. That is the main purpose of the program; it is available to the American society so that they can learn about their own body without going to the doctor. It is all in that box that transmits pictures or in that portable machine that displays videos.
I honestly say that Dr. Oz has helped me in many of the problems that I had as well as in my family. I would be lost but also, I would have wasted a lot of money if Dr. Oz wouldn’t run these programs.
Dr. Oz is a great person for dedicating this amount of time to actually help American Society and I’m sure his show will keep being successful because it talks about problems in the American Society.

1 comment:

  1. Oliver,
    Your opinion about the purpose of Dr.Oz shows is well explained and stated. The connection you made with your experience to the doctor showed a better understanding of the topic and planted a good image for the audience of the scene. I would only recommend for you to make your thesis statement about media more obvious. There could have been several distinctive interpretations about this topic with health. Other than that, well done.
    Christian

    ReplyDelete